Technology, Telecommunications and IP
Technology & Telecommunications
Through the individual experiences of the Advocates at the firm, Rilani Advocates has extensive experience in telecommunications and technology law, media law, cybercrime & security advisories, internet governance, fintech, blockchain and use of crypto currency, technology and telecommunication litigation, domain dispute resolution, domain name placement integrated with trademark and strategic partnerships in the Technology, Media and Telecommunications sectors.
We keep abreast of global technological, telecommunication and legislative developments, as well as global and local trends and are actively involved in policy development around technology and telecommunication in the Kenyan space.
Some of the transactions we have been involved in include:
- Advising leading global telecommunications companies on the laws and regulations affecting cloud computing and cloud technology in Kenya.
- Advising a regional technology company on technology infrastructure ad data protection laws in Africa.
- Advising several multinational companies on adoption of cloud services in the health sector.
- Advising a leading global internet service provider company on provision of over the top services, online advertising, provision of online services to children, intermediary liability, ethics and corruption laws and compliance with local laws.
- Advising a large corporation on commercialization of dark fiber.
- Advising a leading bank on negotiation and implementation of provision of core banking systems.
- Advising various technology companies on setting up business in Kenya, licenses acquisitions, engagement with regulators and legal compliance.
- Advising one of Kenya’s leading Telecommunications Company and provided External Legal and Compliance Legal Audit Services.
- Providing a range of legal advisory services to leading telecommunications service providers in Kenya such as the development of a regulatory framework for Rideshare Technology Services based in Nairobi, particularly with regard to telecommunications law and ICT sector regulation.
- Advising a leading global rideshare company on establishment of services in Kenya and compliance with national and county laws.
- Advising a leading mobile network operator on data protection laws, compliance with international best practices and drafting of the company’s data protection and retention policies.
- Registration of Copyright and Trademarks for various companies.
Intellectual Property is an integral part of business operations. At Rilani Advocates, we provide support in registration of trademarks, copyright, patents, designs, enforcement of intellectual property rights, negotiating and drafting complex agreements to obtain, protect, commercialize, and license technology and computer-related intellectual property rights, negotiating and drafting complex intellectual property development, transfer, and licensing agreements.